Okay guys… let me be the first to say… I FAILED at blogging last year. Ha! I could make excuses like I got caught up in schoolwork or personal stuff but I am not going to do that. In light of being honest, I kept putting it off and then I never got around to that. So here I go.. I am trying for round 2 of this! I will probable fail again but I am going to keep attempting because I want to blog regularly. So lets try this again…
So here is my 2016 in review:
- My dad died January 20th. It made for some tough holidays but I can’t believe its almost been a year since his passing.
- My lawyer for my dads estate died sometime in February.
- My parents truck got repoed and they almost got evicted… twice.
- Our water heater broke….
- Our faucet broke so thanksgiving we used paper plates, huzzah! P.S. sorry environment…
- My Dad’s Estate has been a pain to take care of.
- I finished another 3 semesters of college and was in school for 48 weeks straight before I had a break. Boy was I ready for that break.
- I got engaged to my boyfriend of 3 years in November
- In December I called off the engagement and ended the relationship. Do you know how sometimes you just realize something isn’t meant to be? Yeah, I had that realization.
So with all of that being said, I have to say I am a big fan of resolutions, but for me they are more like goals. I am not a “new year, new me” person but more like new goals for a new year and to strive for more things and try to be a better person because I can always improve on myself. In light of that let me share my 2017 goals with all of you.
- First and foremost, I will read the entire Bible this year since there is a handful of books I have not read. It is important to note that this has been my goal for 3 years now and I have yet to accomplish it. The first year I tried, I couldn’t get through parts of the Old Testament so I gave up. The next year I kept up with it until about April. Last year I did well up until July. This year I have a new way to go into it so lets see if that works. So far I am on day 3 and I am loving it! This also goes to say I plan on doing a lot of spiritual growth this year.
- Secondly, I am going to do things that scare me. Which almost seems to be everything. I miss being a kid when I dived headfirst without worry about everything else. So I am going to learn to be alone, I am also going to learn to be a part of new groups. I applied for a mission trip, I applied for a summer job in Minnesota (note that I live in Texas), and I am just going to go headfirst into this year and get out of my head.
- Thirdly, I am going to read more. Last year, I read NO books for my pleasure but I read around 10 500-600 page college textbooks. But that is not leisurely, trust me. I read a post that said, “You are thrown into the world of the last book you read, would you survive?” The last book I read was Crisis Communication and Intro to Geology
- Fourth, I am going to attempt to blog more. Easier said than done, but it is a goal.
- Fifthly, I want to be healthier. Gyms scare me to be honest, so I am going to take baby steps to getting to this point. Since I work for 9 hours and in a couple of weeks have night classes 3 days a week I am going to try to fit in some workout time in the mornings. In light of this I am spending this week and next week getting my sleep schedule adjusted – which is hard for an insomniac. So bedtime at 10 and wake up at 6. Today I woke up at 6:15 not too shabby, but I also went to sleep at 11:30 after lying in bed for an hour and a half. I gave in and took my medicine which I try to avoid doing but I was desperate and just wanted to go to sleep. After this couple of weeks I will start easy with some in-home yoga and workouts and I will build up to going to the gym as well as eating healthier after my church-wide fast next week.
- And for some smaller things I plan on doing:
- Write more, just some short stories, nothing big or overwhelming
- Be a better listener, friend, and daughter
- Learn to crochet
- Finish unfinished projects
- Start learning another language
- Join a Discipleship group or Bible Study.
This are the biggies. I am taking baby steps. I have learned the hard way to not overwhelm myself by just jumping right into everything. I just give up when I do that so I am building up to them and they don’t all have to begin this month. Some of them I won’t get around to until later parts of the year and that’s okay. So I start this year with a clear mind, open to all the possibilities around me. Here is to 2017.
Until next time,